This will melt your heart ❤️
You did a great job!!!
Today 4th Graders, 5th Graders and 6th Graders went to the beach to clean it.
There we found amazing creatures. We had a great time and we learnt a lot of things:
We also found a lot of trash: (Butts, Plastic, Glass,…)
Trash in the ocean kills more than one million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals and turtles each year through ingestion and entanglement.
Entanglement in Ocean Trash
- Wraps around flippers causing circulation loss and amputations
- Creates wounds and cuts leading to bacterial infections
- Slows animals ability to swim making them more vulnerable to predators
- Smothers or traps animals, causing them to drown
- Causes starvation as animals can no-longer eat or feed its young
Ingestion of Ocean Trash
- Leads to starvation by blocking digestive tracks
- Provides false sense of being full once swallowed, which leads to starvation
- Ingests sharp objects like metal or glass that perforate the stomach, causing internal bleeding
- Becomes lodged in animals windpipes, cutting off airflow and causing suffocation.
How Long Does It Take for Trash in the Ocean to Decompose?
- A tin can that entered the ocean in 1986 is still decomposing in 2036
- A plastic bottle that entered the ocean in 1986 is decomposing in 2436
- A glass bottle that entered the ocean in 1986 is decomposing in year 1,001,986
Prevention is the real solution to trash in the ocean. We need to make Ocean conservation an everyday priority.